Beacons of Hope
Players should follow the character creation guidelines in the PHB or Player’s Basic Rules book with the following exceptions. They should also consult the Additional Classes and Subclasses page for additional information.
1. We are looking for larger than life, heroic characters so ability scores will be rolled differently than in the PHB. Ability scores should be generated by rolling four 6-sided dice and recording the total of the highest three dice. However, rolls of “1” may be re-rolled. Scores can be arranged in any order.
2. Easy build equipment is not available. Characters must determine starting gold and purchase desired equipment (including armor and weapons) per the rules in the PHB or Player’s Basic Rules book.
3. Some equipment may not be available at the start (or may be extra expensive). This includes plate armor and magic items. Please check with the DM for anything beyond the most mundane items. You should have a story of why it is important that your character begin with it.
4. Players should roll once on the Trinket List on pages 160-161 of the 5E PHB.
5. Feats are not allowed at first level. For their use, please see Feats in House Rules.
6. Multiclassing is not allowable at first level (but may be used at higher levels if there is a roleplaying justification for the additional class).
7. Spell components are assumed (unless circumstances dictate otherwise such as being held prisoner in a cell after being stripped of valuables).
8. At the beginning of the campaign, each player present will create a relationship history for his character to the player character on his right so that every one will have two pre-existing bonds in the party. They can be as elaborate as you want but are subject to approval by the DM (not necessarily the other player described).
9. Clerics and Paladins may (and are encouraged to) create their own deities for inclusion in the Gods of the Nentir Vale (subject to DM approval of course).
THE RACES OF THE NENTIR VALE
All PHB races are allowed except:
- Dragonborn. Dragonborn exist in legend but none have been seen in many, many moons.
Tielflings are allowed but are pretty much feared and shunned in this part of the world except in Fallcrest.
Half-Orcs are allowed but must look essentially Human (without tusks or pig noses).
Drow are discouraged and players wanting to play a Drow must consult with the DM. Drow may be a little different in this world . . .
THE PC CLASSES OF THE NENTIR VALE
All PHB classes and sub-classes are allowed for players except:
- Sorcerers MUST be Tieflings. No other races produce them.
Excluded races, classes and sub-classes MAY occur in NPCs.
- The Adventurer
- City Guard
- Professional Assassin
- Student of Magic
You may also suggest your own background.